Translate

Friday, May 15, 2009

Nero’s Song

An ocean of fire
Rampaging flames
Fiddler is dancing
Join these games
Time to be merry
When they scream
Sing the chorus
Toast a falling city
*
What is life?
An excuse to live
Drink to get drunk
Fight to survive
Charade on a roof
Worry not the fall
Just a nasty spiff
As paint on a doll
*
Pieces and ashes
All that shall be
Rome is burning
The great city
It shall be built
All over again
Man is a brute
Skilled they say
*
Live a lifetime
Within a moment
Die if you wish
The soul still lives
Run if you desire
But can you hide?
Lie on the shores
Wade against a tide
*
Sol simply drowns
In the sea so blue
Douse the inferno?
Pails are too few
Why tarry about
It is all of no use
Come along here
Dance to my tune…
*
**
***
****
***
**
*
Raw
If my memory serves right, I wrote this when I was still a kid, sullen with people kicking bits of my own prose in my face. No rhyme schemes, no reason and nothing in the gist... yet it has a slight charm dancing within.

No comments:

Post a Comment