Translate

Friday, October 5, 2012

Social Network

So its been almost about a year since I've been on facebook. Its not much to brag about really, and if I say I don't sign in at all; that would be an utter lie. I delete the account before I log out. Ninja mode. And to count, I've done it thrice over the span of a year.

However, I do save bragging rights for a few other applications. For instance, every other evening when I'm out with friends and I see one of the buggers borrow a laptop or a phone and check their page I practically breathe a sigh of relief. That is 15 minutes of my life well saved. Almost everyday.

I prefer keeping my life personal and meeting the people I know in person.

Physical reality is the dream!

But it also means I'm socially ostracized now. I don't know where a party is. I wasn't lucky enough to crash the dutch teenagers coming of age ball like the many thousands who caught it on the site. I don't know where the functions and job market really is. I don't get any updates. Besides, these days that very personnel check happens on the very site. So better watch out for the pictures you upload, and what you write or for that matter all that write up on you. Its like a draft that has turned the entire world into high school students.

Speaking of which and if I remember well, I was actually picked on for having my nose stuck to the computer screen. That's was the dork in me writing out my material of one liners, limericks, stories and poetry all the while looking forward to my next beating!

Maybe its the paranoid schizoid in me acting up. I can't go on my entire life filling up that emptiness with a virtual hype. Who is dating who? Who is working what? Where has "that" person been. Photo's photos and oh this is what I looked like as a kid. There was a time people needed detectives to dig up dirt on others. Now all it takes is a pair of anti glare goggles and a night on the computer on that freaking site.

Yes, I have a right to be worried. Because its killing certain aspects of life dear to me. For instance, art. People can put up their poems for everyone to read instead of chancing on a recitation. Oh, films are being made where the Director individually approaches everyone on chat and pitches his script. Each time a different vision rather reserving a table and asking everyone to join in for a pitcher of beer. I always ended wondering who was telling the story in the first place.

Yet again, I wonder why did I go and make my life difficult. I have poems and stories to publish, books to write, art to sell and hopefully a film to make. But is resorting to facebook really the answer to inching closer to those dreams?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment